Monday, October 17, 2011

Don’t Judge Me

Do you have any guilty pleasures, Reader-Friend? The ever so sound and authoritative Wikipedia says that a guilty pleasure is “something one enjoys and considers pleasurable despite feeling guilt for enjoying it. The "guilt" involved is sometimes simply fear of others discovering one's lowbrow or otherwise embarrassing tastes.”

You all know that I try to be honest as possible on this blog. I marvel at people who don’t apologize for who they are, who do their best but don’t hide their worst. Jon is one of those people and I give him the hardest time about his flaws, but he probably doesn’t really know how much  I actually envy him.  I can’t tell you how hard real people are to come by, especially where I live in the Bible belt. We’re pretty judgmental around here. I am not glorifying bad behavior, but am advocating for the acceptance of humanity, so that grace may be abundantly poured out on our loved and not so loved ones. Okay shifting from all the heavy talk…

Here are a few of my guilty pleasures:

Pinned Image

NOM NOM NOM! I think I have pretty good control over my consumption with this one, but sometimes I end up tangled in a chocolate binge. Diet fail.

Pinned Image

Shopping! Um…I thirft. I shouldn’t feel that guilty, right?

 

Pinned Image

I’m getting to the point that I get an iced chai latte every day. I need to break this habit before it breaks my bank.

 

Pinned Image

I know he is vulgar. (that’s what makes him a guilty pleasure, I guess). I think of Eminem like the the raunchy authors I have to study for my major. I read “Cat on Hot Tin Roof” last week. Do you know how many times Tennessee dropped the F-bomb? Dude is unbelievably passionate and honest (to the point that it’s scary). I don’t listen to a whole lot of rap for the record and there are only a few songs by this artist I allow myself to listen to. I wonder if decades after Marshall Mathers is gone, students will be studying that seemingly crazed man’s work like we do Poe’s.

Well, if you still love me, comment with a guilty pleasure confession. Go ahead get it off your chest-no judgment here.

6 comments:

Nicole said...

I actually prayed this morning that the Lord would work in me so that I could give grace more freely!

Amanda said...

I am WitH you on the Starbucks. I must get my
Coffee every morning lol....and sometimes
It makes me late for work :-/

Caitlin said...

We pretty much have ALL the same guilty pleasures. Only mine are probably worse: ALL shopping and ALL junk food.
And I loved your little words at the top about advocating acceptance. Love it.

Megan said...

I am totally with you on the Starbucks! I get something every single day that I work...and it's definitely breaking the bank!!

SL said...

You are a brave girl.

Anonymous said...

Holy f-ing s--t.
Are you kidding me?

Eminmem?
M&Ms?
Is this supposed to be a pun?

But, seriously, bible belt or not, guilty pleasures are just fine, and enjoy them. I enjoy mine, and no, I will not share them with you.

Also, I am going to fly in the face of the other comments by saying that I am not proud of you for declaring your guilty pleasures. Frankly, if I must be totally honest, I do not think you really declared anything here.

In fact, I think you hid behind some easy stereotypes. Finding bargains? This is a guilty pleasure? Chocolate, coffee? You consider those a guilty pleasure? There is a line at Starbucks pretty much all day, and somehow, you think you should be guilty for partaking in the same thing everyone else on the face of the earth is doing? What comes next, feeling guilty about needing oxygen?

I do not believe you have exposed anything here. I do not think you have even scratched the surface.

Despite what SL said, you are not brave at all. I see no baring of your soul here. I see no guilty pleasures at all. What I see is someone admitting they are normal, just like everyone else.