Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Earth and Sky

Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books.

-John Lubbock

Pinned Image

One word. Walden.

Lately, I have not been able to shake the desire to get out there in the well, “out there”. How do I talk about this without sounding like a hippie? Maybe, I can’t. So, I will risk sounding like a peace and love kind of gal (without the whole being stoned thing, of course), to say I want to drink in all the Mother Nature I can! When I’m “out there” I just look around and think about God. I think this is for us. We’re in our cities with our made-to-order commodities all the time and we think that is natural. But I breathe in unpolluted mountain air and I know that I’m where I belong. Oh, I know I sound whimsical and that if I had to rough it more than a few weeks, I would probably miss my bed and running water. But you see, that’s the problem: I know that would happen.

Pinned Image 

I’m not going to pretend that the circumstances in my life have left me with nothing but independence to pursue. Well, that’s not entirely true; I could also pursue a death grip on anything and anyone that ever so crossed my path. And that would be so easy to do in my vulnerable state, but no I refuse. You only get so many opportunities in life to become the person you truly want to be before you’re so buried in conveniences and comforts. I want to be able to take care of myself no. matter. what. If you haven’t noticed, I’m talking on a few different levels now, but nevertheless I truly believe that spending time out in nature, depending on the raw elements for survival allows one to do the same individualistically-depend on their own raw elements.

Pinned Image

I just wonder: What am I made of?

That may be a struggle to truly discover. Maybe even a fight. And when it comes to that, it’s best to…

Pinned Image

{All photos via this pinboard}

1 comment:

Rissy said...

I felt like this when I drove cross country... I don't think I'd want to live out in the middle of nowhere, but to experience it for awhile is so refreshing.

I understand what you're saying girl!


CarissaExplainsItAll